Summertime, soak up the sunshine with you!
Summertime, soak up the sunshine with you!
Hopes: I HOPE Girls play every song off their fantastic, debut, LP, Album and I love them all and have one of the best concert experiences ever. Perhaps, Glen, Paul, and I meet some of the band members.
Expectations: I EXPECT them to play most of those songs, but also play some B Sides or possibly new/unreleased material that I am unfamiliar with. It will be a good concert, but not top 10, which is hard to beat.
Label: True Panther Sounds
1) Lust For Life- 10: This song makes me, how should I say, a little crazy, totally mad, and perhaps fucked in the head lol. I remember when Glen first showed me this, it was one of those instantaneous pop hooks. You just want to jump up and start dancing and singing along even, if you’re 100% straight: “I wish I had a boyfriend, I wish I had a loving man in my life,’ are some of the finer lines. Singer, Christopher Owens does a great job with the lead vocals, but I really adore the doo da doo da backing vocals mixed with clapping and a groovin’ bass line. It’s a classic.
2) Laura- 9.4- Wearing it’s 50s-60s pop rock influence as Needle Dropper, Anthony Fantano cited; in this track the Girls boys (haha!) are bundled up in a catchy love number for the one and only Laura.
3) Ghostmouth- 9.7- Another classic, lonely love number, which seems to be a recurring theme in this LP. Owens likes the bad boys, but he has a girl, and “nothing compares to you.” Well, guy, girl, whoever “you” is referring to is causing our hero to go bananas, riding on a ghost train, hoping to reach Heaven If he arrives there, he can chill with my ears cause this is a killer track. Cheesy, I know lol.
4) Goddman- 9.1- Not as good as the previous tracks, but still exceptional. It clearly demonstrates the group’s ability to switch up their sound; here we have some fine bongo tapping.
5) Big Bad Mean Motherfucker- 9.2- Ahh, good old rock n roller. 50s greaser anthem. Reminds me of some of the songs off the Grease Soundtrack and specifically I’m getting a David Bowie Ziggy Stardust era feel.
6) Hellhole Ratrace- 9.9- I often play this song two, sometimes three times in a row. It’s just too exquisite for one listen. Simply, one of those tunes, you never want to end, and I often garner that feeling from a brief number, but this track is one second shy of seven minutes, so kudos to Girls! Very chill, sharp departure from Big Bad, which makes the album that much more fantastic.
7) Headache- 9.4- I love the low, soulful vocals here, which offer everything, but a headache! Lyrically, it’s pretty simple, but it works perfectly: “I only want to be with you all the taahhimee.”
8) Summertime- 9.5- High vocals, akin to the earlier track “Lust For Life.” It’s too damn bad that we’re in the dead of Winter, since this song obviously reminds me of the Summer and even when we reach that time of the year it just fucking rains! Anyway, enough for seasonal rants for now.
9) Lauren Marie- 9.6- Epic, to say the least. Great percussion, fabulous Elvis/Bowie like vocals, and simple guitar strumming. If I was Lauren Marie, I’d feel honored.
10) Curls- 9.6- For some reason, the guitar riff is etched in my brain. Echoes (no pun intended) to Darkside era Pink Floyd.
11) Darling- 9.4- Nice little closer. It’s not as far out there as some of the other tracks, so in other words it brings our melted brains back to the surface. This track also shares a memorable guitar riff.
Overall: For such comically generic LP/Band names, these guys (lol)are anything but; based on this debut, Girls have a promising future and are amongst my new favorite artists.
It’s fact. Hunx from Hunx and His Punx is the dude whose dick is being used as a microphone in the utterly homosexual NSFW Girls’ video for their hit song “Lust For Life” off Album.
Label: True Panther
1. “Lust For Life” – 9.2
2. “Laura” – 9.0
3. “Ghostmouth” – 8.9
4. “Goddamn” – 7.7
5. “Big Bad Mean Motherfucker” – 9.6
6. “Hellhole Ratrace” – 9.2
7. “Headache” – 9.0
8. “Summertime” – 8.6
9. “Lauren Marie” – 8.4
10. “Morning Light” – 8.9
11. “Curls” – 8.2
12. “Darling” – 8.2
Comments: Girls!!! Omg! The whole internet is buzzing about Girls! Or maybe just a few “indie” sites here and there. But are they really deserving of the hype? Singer Christopher Owens has a (unique) voice that causes me to deeply wonder whether it is musically fit or semi-annoying. The melodies are there. Pretty damn awesome! Anthem-esque at times, sunshine poppy at others. A bit more obscure than say the Pains of Being Pure at Heart and maybe a bit more older sounding, but structurally there are similar elements between the two bands. “Big Bad Mean Motherfucker” is one heck of a song, reminding me a bit of the lo-fi throwback elements of Wavves and Black Lips. The album’s throwback nature is sort of funny and maybe a bit superfluous…making it sound like a Weird Al original. There are some boring spots towards the end. Overall, this album will be memorable in some way at some point down the line. If they crank out more “Big Bad” tunes then I see a shitload of potential.