Early heads up everyone. We’ve gotTHE HUSSY from Madison, Wisconsin. New album out on Dirtnap Records. 4 Piece Line-Up. Just played Gonerfest. On Tour. Checking all of the boxes. One of the most exciting live bands? Check check. Blew minds opening for Thee Oh Sees? Yes.
But this post and our next KLYAM show that we are Pumped for: THE HUSSY live at The Greek (Greek American Social Construction Club) in Union Square, Somerville (9 Bow St, Somerville, MA 02143) on OCTOBER 21, 2019. One week from today. All Ages. 8 PM Doors. $10.
A one-day Gonerfest of the North is coming to New Bedford on Saturday, October 19. 4752 Festival. Located about an hour drive south from Boston and 40 minutes south east of Providence, New Bedford has long been the home of a bevy of underground and eclectic (dare I say outsider) artists and bands. Remember the old Traphaus scene?
Devin from the great no-nonsense post-wave NB outfit Picniclunch has organized this doozy of a festival and here’s how it works: 13 musical acts perform in 6 venues. All the venues are within less than a mile so from 3:30 PM to 1 AM you can hop around, get some exercise, a bite to eat, maybe a libation or two, and see a lot of weird performances. More information forthcoming, but mark your damn calendars and get excited for what we do know:
Get on over to I Heart Noise and check out Will from Healers Altered Cultures Mix.
Quite a treat and not shy to bounce around from disparate styles. For fans of music discovery. It is wild and says a lot that the only song on here that I had heard before was the Mickey Bliss Band’s “Venus Dressed In Plastic Garbage”. This is a really incredible playlist. Thank you Will.
And before, or after, you listen to the mix go on over and pull up Healers visual album Healers Paradise.
G: Let me get this straight. Did you first hear of Daniel Johnston through The Devil and Daniel Johnston?
C: No. I first heard Daniel Johnston through Nirvana interviews and stuff. ’03 to ’05. I remember distinctly reading about him in Heavier Than Heaven. The first time I heard his music was in the movie Kids in the scene where the character Casper and several other kids beat the shit out of another kid in Washington Square Park. Even then, the music didn’t register to me. Between the Nirvana influence and it being in the Kids sound track, I asked you to burn a mix for me with “Casper The Friendly Ghost.” It really stood out to me for the first time on a mix. I never heard anything like that before. Didn’t have any means of comparison. That doesn’t happen much anymore.
G: So after “Casper,” where’d you go from there?
C: I would Wikipedia or YouTube him. I bought “Hi How Are You” and “Continued Story” and “Fun” after that. I rented The Devil and Daniel Johnston, we watched it.
G: Did we watch in your bedroom?
C: Maybe. I remember the next day I went to UMASS Lowell on a tour. I was on a bus thinking about Daniel Johnston. Not the college.
From there, it is a little more static. The history. Daniel Johnston was monumental for establishing a standard of how odd music could be. Yes, there’s the great pop song beneath the music. But for me, it was an introduction to the whole idea of that odd. So different from what you would call music. You show him to the average music fan, maybe some of the songs they will like. You show “Casper” to the average music fan and they would think it is non-sense. It was a different way of writing or making music. Similarly, the first time I heard The Stooges it gave me a headache. I had heard heavier music, but I remember listening and being like woah what the fuck. Same with Black Lips. Those first experiences were so special.
G: Were you interested in Daniel beyond just the music?
C: He was fascinating. You can’t fake how it was. He had some serious mental issues. I didn’t get too wrapped up by that. More fascinated by the music.
A few years from now when I am an old man, about 27, I will be standing alone at a show, nursing a Narragansett and trying to relieve myself of an ailing hangover, when some young scrawny, pimple faced lad, about 16, will approach me and ask “what were the early Fat Creeps shows like?” to which I will respond, “fuck off, get me another beer junior. Let’s go find your sister.” Fortunately, I am still young and only 70% bitter, so I will enjoy these last few years before the remaining 30% takes over.
2014: Nice Guys (LAPD Tape Release), The Televibes, Beware The Dangers Of A Ghost Scorpion!, Beach Toys, Creaturos (3 piece), Chandos – Black Lodge