Band: Dinosaur Jr.
1. “Little Fury Things” – (A+) – A long-time favorite, I love the smothering of distortion and pop at the beginning of the tune. Of course, the rest of the tune is just as amazing; the solo toward the middle really stands out.
2. “Kracked” – (A-) – Interesting solos, but rather dull verses. I do like the proto-grunge chorus.
3. “Sludgefeast” – (B+) – Another heavy battering of noise! Of course, a little teaser of a slowdown leads to an even more massive outbreak of…sludge. Mascis’ vocals fit snug on here.
4. “The Lung” – (B+) – A tiny bit toned down from the two tracks before it, this is a more relaxed interpretation of distortion.
5. “Raisans” – (A-) – Unfortunately not really note-worthy, but it’s still quite listenable. The final long shred is impressive. The best of its kind on here so far, I’d wager.
6. “Tarpit” – (A) – Would probably work best as an album closer because it’s just that great and has that whirlpool of noise that gives me a sense of closure.
7. “In a Jar” – (A-) – Reminiscent of Pavement in its clean, yet lo-fi ways — at least at first.
8. “Lose” – (B+) – A little bit of a hassle to appreciate, but Barlow meant well.
9. “Poledo” – (C-) – An unnecessary “sound collage” as Wikipedia dubs it. Really not necessary. For throw-aways in the grand scheme of throw-aways, I guess this isn’t terrible.
10. “Show Me the Way” – (A+) – Awesome! An instant favorite!